Saturday, July 19, 2008

A Series of Nonsense-Mine, at least

I just got invited to think about having a column on an in-progress web site, and am thinking about it. More on that if it happens ... But, the invite reminded me that I started a blog a couple of months ago, and have not really paid much attention to it unless something reminded me to go into it...

So far, I'm the contributor ... including one pasted set of comments from a friend ... identifying his blog which I comment and encourage others to visit it along with mine.

I think that, periodically, I'll paste onto my blog a few thoughts shared with and by others hoping to attract an audience from the "world of blogs."

I've added the blog URL to my email signature line, and invite readers to write and begin leaving comments about what you read there. I promise to expand the topics.

For example, I'm a scuba diver and sailor, and a manager of a company that recruits seniors 55+ in age who are interested in being trained (upgrade or learn new skills) as preparation for returning to the work force and an unsubsidized job. I'd like to read comments by seniors and others which reflect experiences (negative and positive) in the job-finding and searching as well as getting hired end of the employment process. Our company is in the process of setting up a web site (www.vermontassociates.org) but I'm not sure if our techno-guy has it up and running yet. He's been more than busy establishing our MIS and policies into our 12 office organization as soon as possible after our policy group finalizes them, and 7:30 am - 4:30 pm just isn't a lot of time right now for ancillary tasks. But, things are coming together.

Personally, life is trucking along. While the past 2-3 years have presented several difficulties, I no longer have bad days; just a bad moment once in awhile, and the changes are positive for me and, I hope for others who are close to me.

Sailing this summer has been limited, in part by, once again, failing competently at retirement and Vermont's capricious weather. Today, for example, it is sunny and 82 degrees out ... and, I haven't seen the leaves on my trees moving much. I life very near the shores of Lake Champlain so this lack of sailing signs has more or less dictated the day for me.

A couple of neat "firsts" have come along in the past week.

The last professional haircut (heck; the last haircut, period) I had was on August 26, 2007 in my kitchen. My wife died on the 25th, and my cousin pulled me aside to order me to be ready the next day for a haircut. He arrived on his designated day and trimmed me up. A year ago this month, I was diagnosed with cancer. To date, I've had two nine (9) week rounds of chemo split by a major surgical procedure, and lost all of my hair as expected. Yesterday I had my hair trimmed by another professional for the first time in 11 months!

The second "first" (and I know this is a public forum, but HEY! I've got a right to be open about "firsts" on my own blog; right?

I had a date! A month or so ago, I met an acquaintance from 20 years ago and we caught up with personal news in the hallway of a local medical facility. The conversation ended with her sort of saying "lets get together on the 4th of July on your boat...I'll bring the wine and cheese," and me standing there probably looking dumb and mumbling something which may have been "OK." Because of injuries caused by an auto accident, she couldn't go sailing. But, she called to thank me for sending a brief note hoping she would get well, and I wondered sort of aloud if she might like to join me and attend a local stage play. We went to the worst play I've ever sat through in my life and I usually enjoy stage plays. She hated the play too. But, apparently she and I were not discouraged by my slackness in not having read the play's reviews because we agreed to see one another again....So, another first has occurred. Growing up again ... who would have thunkit?

Back to the blog. In an earlier lengthy comment (are there ever brief ones from me?) I promised to resurrect le storee uv dat tam h'I sail dat bote h'up Lac Champlain for de firs tam h'in my life..." I found the story in the Franco-English patois which is so enjoyable to my ears and eyes ... and will get it onto the blog...

Until then ... Life is good, give some of it back...

No comments: